- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional)
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add enough salt to make water taste salty. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta in a colander and return to pot. Cover and cook over low heat until all water has evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add milk, salt, pepper, butter, nutmeg, and cheeses and stir until all the cheese has melted. If necessary, turn the burner to a very low heat to melt remaining cheese.
Serve immediately, garnished with more Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Source: Emeril's Table: Cooking with Your Kids