- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup polenta
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Fresh chives, for garnish
In a large, heavy saucepan, combine 1 1/2 cups of water with the milk, garlic, shallot, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and slowly add the polenta, whisking constantly. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often with a large wooden spoon, until the polenta thickens and is very tender and creamy, about 25 minutes.
Add the butter and stir until melted. Add Parmesan, and stir well. Adjust seasoning to taste, garnish with chives, and serve hot.