- 1/2 Hass avocado, peeled, and pit removed
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1 jalapeño, roasted, peeled, and seeded
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 pound amberjack fillet (or other mild, flaky fish)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 8 fresh white or yellow corn tortillas, warmed according to package directions or grilled briefly to heat through
- 4 slices ripe tomato, cut in half
- 2 limes, halved
In a blender, combine the avocado half with the roasted poblano and jalapeño chiles, the 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup of the chopped onion, 1/4 cup of the cilantro leaves, the lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon of the kosher salt, and the water. Puree until smooth, and set aside.
Preheat a grill to medium, or preheat a cast-iron grill pan over medium heat.
Season the amberjack with the remaining 1 teaspoon kosher salt and the white pepper. Rub the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over both sides of the fish, and place the fish on the grill. Grill until the fish is just cooked through and flakes easily, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the fish from the grill, and use a fork to break it into flakes or small chunks.
To assemble the tacos, divide the fish evenly among the tortillas. Place 1 tablespoon of the remaining chopped onion and 1 tablespoon of the remaining cilantro leaves over each portion of fish. Place a half tomato slice over each, and drizzle with some of the avocado salsa. Squeeze some lime juice over the tacos, fold the tortilla sides together, and serve immediately.