- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 16 chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons Essence 
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 pounds chorizo sausage, diced into 1/4 inch half moons
- 2 pounds (various) sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch-long chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups small diced celery
- 2 cups small diced green bell peppers
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 cups medium-grain rice
- 2 pounds duck confit, shredded
- 10 oz or 2 1/3 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- Set a paella pan over a grill on medium-high heat and add 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Season the chicken with 2 tablespoons of Essence and 2 teaspoons of the salt. Once the oil is hot, sear the chicken in the pan until well caramelized, about 4 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the rest of the olive oil with the chorizo to the pan and sear, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage and cooked until well browned, an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the onions, celery and green bell peppers to the pan and sweat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saffron to the pan and return the chicken to the pan as well.
- Pour the stock in the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the chicken for 10 minutes.
- Add the rice to the pan and carefully stir to incorporate. Continue to cook the rice for 15 minutes.
- Add the duck confit and the peas, turn the heat to low and continue to cook the paella until a crust begins to form on the bottom of the pan, about 5 to 7 minutes more. Serve while hot.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 7 - Emeril's Kicked-Up Seafood Fiesta 
- Dish Type: Entree 
- Cuisine: Mexican 
- Occasion: Any 
- Effort Level: Moderate