- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 3 cups good-quality frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon Essence 
- 4 cups crab or fish stock plus more for thinning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon liquid crab boil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons blond roux 
- 1 pound lump crab meat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Chopped chives for garnish
In a large sauce pot, melt the butter over medium heat then add the onions, shallots, garlic and celery, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring as needed until softened. Add the corn and cook 5 minutes longer. Season with Essence then add the stock and bay leaves. Season with the 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Bring the mixture to a boil then whisk in the milk, cream and crab boil. Return to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes longer. Whisk in the roux, 1 tablespoon at a time. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, whisking until the mixture thickens.
Stir in the crab meat and Worcestershire, and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes longer. Adjust seasoning if necessary or thin with additonal crab stock if desired. Ladle into bowls, avoiding the bay leaves, and garnish with chives.