- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (lemon thyme if available), oregano, or marjoram leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 to 16 fresh whole sardines, cleaned, scaled, rinsed and dried
- Crusty bread for serving, optional
- Preheat a grill or broiler to high.
- In a mortar and pestle, combine the thyme and parsley with the sea salt and pound until well crushed.
- Add the lemon juice and drizzle in the olive oil until well combined. Add a pinch of pepper if desired. Set aside at room temperature until you are ready to serve the sardines.
- Season the sardines well on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place directly on the grill and cook, turning once, until the skin is crispy and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on the size of the fish.
- Transfer the fish to a serving platter and drizzle with the herb sauce. Serve immediately, with crusty bread, if desired.
- Source: The Emeril Lagasse Show: Episode 3 - Italian Chowdown 
- Dish Type: Entree 
- Cuisine: Italian 
- Cooking Method: Grilling 
- Occasion: Any