- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups dark rum
- 2 very-ripe pineapples, cut crosswise with the core intact
- Pinch Hawaiian sea salt
- Coconut ice cream or sorbet, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the sugar and the water. Continue to cook until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- In a large nonreactive glass container, add the Bacardi, warm simple syrup, and pineapple slices. Let marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Being very careful, add the pineapple slices one at a time and let cook for 30 seconds per side. Flip and continue on other side.
- Remove from heat when the pineapple is well marked. Place a couple slices of grilled pineapple on a plate and serve with coconut ice cream. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.