- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Essence 
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 pound small elbow macaroni or wide egg noodles, cooked
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Grated white Cheddar, optional
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Season the beef with the salt, pepper, and Essence.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the seasoned beef and cook, stirring, until well browned and all pink has disappeared. Drain off any excess oil in the skillet.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring until the mushrooms have released their juices, about 2 minutes. Add the beef broth and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens slightly, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the macaroni and cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the sour cream.
- Remove the pan from the heat and spoon the mixture onto 2 large plates. Sprinkle each portion with the cheese, if desired, and chopped parsley and serve immediately.
- Note: recipe may be doubled or tripled successfully