- 8 ounces French green lentils
- 3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 (6-ounce) center cut salmon fillets, with skin
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Essence 
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- In a medium saucepan combine the lentils, garlic cloves, bay leaves, and thyme sprig and add enough water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook just until tender yet still firm, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Discard the garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Set lentils aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub the salmon fillets on all sides with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season on all sides with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. Sprinkle the tops of each salmon fillet lightly with the Essence. Coat the bottom of a nonstick baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil and add the salmon fillets, skin side down. Transfer the salmon to the oven and roast until medium, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While the salmon is cooking, heat the remaining olive oil in a medium-large skillet over high heat and, when hot, add the onion, carrot and celery and saute until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, thyme, lentils, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are warmed through, tender, and flavorful and liquid has reduced slightly, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside and keep warm until the salmon finishes cooking.
- Divide the lentils evenly among the centers of each of 6 dinner plates, and top each bed of lentils with a salmon fillet. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and chives to garnish and drizzle each serving with a teaspoon of the extra-virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.