- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds wild boar stew meat, medium diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 5 cups veal stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 pound baby shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the wild boar to vegetables, season with salt and pepper and saute for 1 minute. Dust the boar with the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the red wine and the veal stock. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender; during the last 30 minutes, add the mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat and cool. Pour the mixture into a deep 9-inch oval dish. Place spoonfuls of the sweet potatoes over the meat mixture. Dot the top of the sweet potatoes with the butter. Place dish on a baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden. (The baking sheet under the dish is in case the pie starts to bubble over.) Remove from the oven spoon into serving plates and garnish with parsley.