- New Mexican chili powder
- Kosher or coarse salt
- 1-ounce freshly squeezed lime juice, plus a wedge for rimming glasses
- Ice cubes
- 2 ounces fresh blood orange puree (sold refrigerated or frozen in containers)
- 2 ounces mezcal
- 1-ounce orange liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier)
- 1-ounce simple syrup 
- Place equal parts chili powder and salt on a plate and mix to evenly combine. Rub a lime wedge around the edge of 2 margarita or martini glasses and then dip the glasses in the chili powder mixture to thinly coat the rim.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Add the lime juice, blood orange puree, mezcal, orange liqueur, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds and then strain into each glass.