- For the Soup:
- 4 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle light beer
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 pound sharp cheddar, grated
- Dash hot red pepper sauce
- Tempura Broccoli Florets
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- For the Tempura Broccoli Florets:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup seltzer water
- 8 fresh broccoli florets, blanched
- For the Soup: In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes to make a blond roux. Add the onions and celery. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for 2 minutes or until the vegetables are wilted. Stir in the beer and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the milk and cheese. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. Season with salt and hot sauce. Reduce the heat and keep warm.
- To serve, ladle the soup into each bowl. Garnish with the Tempura Florets and parsley.
- For the Tempura Broccoli Florets: Preheat the fryer to 375 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, egg, and soda water. Mix well to make a smooth batter. Season with salt and cayenne. Dip each floret into the batter, shaking off any excess. Carefully add the battered broccoli to the oil and fry until crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.