- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (9-inch) baked pie shell 
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut
- Whipped cream, for garnish
- In a nonstick 1-quart saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, coconut milk, and 1 cup milk. Scald mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch together to make a slurry. Whisk egg yolks with salt in medium bowl. Temper yolks by adding 1/2 cup scaled milk mixture to yolks and whisk well. Add yolk mixture and slurry back into milk mixture and whisk vigorously over medium heat until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add coconut, vanilla, and butter. Whisk until uniformly incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover the pie with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Chill the pie completely, about 2 hours.
- To serve, top with toasted coconut and a dollop of whipped cream.