- 1 leftover whole roasted turkey
- 2 medium onions, cored, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium stalks celery, cleaned and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Water, to cover
- Any leftover turkey meat, diced
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 1 cup diced parsnip
- 1 cup diced shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup thinly sliced green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 8-ounce bag fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chiffonade fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 cups cookes wild rice, for serving
- Loaf of crusty bread, for serving
Place whole turkey carcass in a large stockpot. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Add bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover the turkey with 8 quarts of water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 3 hours.
Remove stock from heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve, saving the liquid (about 4 quarts) and turkey meat, discarding the vegetables.
In a large sauce pot add the vegetables one at a time and cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the next vegetable continue until you have added the green beans. Once all of the vegetables are in the pot, season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes longer. Add the strained stock. Add the green onions, spinach, basil and parsley to the stock. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the meat from the turkey carcass and dice. Add the meat and cooked rice to the soup. Heat through.
Ladle the soup into each serving bowl and serve with the crusty bread.