- 2 to 3 dozen medium size fresh lemons, washed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup coarse sea salt, plus more if desired
- 1 (2-quart) glass jar with a non-metal lid*, sterilized
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for storing
- Cut the bud end off of 12 of the lemons, and slice them in half crosswise. In a mixing bowl, toss the cut lemons generously with the salt and place in the sterilized jar. Juice enough lemons to completely cover the cut lemons with liquid. Pour the juice into the jar. Use a wooden spoon to gently press the lemons down into the jar. Secure the lid and let sit in a cool dry place for 1 week. It is important to shake the jar daily to redistribute the liquid and salt. After 1 week, top the jar off with olive oil and store in the refrigerator.
- The lemons, can sit in the brine mixture longer than 1 week if desired, and will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year.
- *The acid from the lemons may corrode a metal lid.