- 1 gallon goat's milk (unpasteurized)
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 3/4 teaspoon liquid rennet or 1 tablet rennet (available in health food stores)
- Olive oil, for seasoning if desired
- Salt, for seasoning if desired
- Pepper, for seasoning if desired
- In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine the goat's milk, buttermilk, and rennet. Heat over low heat until the mixture reaches a temperature of 180 degrees F. Transfer to a nonreactive bowl and allow to sit overnight, covered, until the curds and whey separate. Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth and ladle the curds into the colander. Discard whey. Fold cheesecloth over top of curds and allow to drain overnight, refrigerated.
- Remove cheesecloth and season, to taste, with olive oil and salt and pepper, if desired.