- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, to make a light roux, 1 minute to 90 seconds. (Do not allow the roux to brown.) Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer, add the salt and pepper, stir well and let simmer 1 minute. Add the cheese and whisk until melted. (If the sauce seems too thick, thin with a little milk.)
- Serve immediately, or cover to keep warm until ready to serve, stirring occasionally.