- 5 pounds prime beef short ribs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups brown veal stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 sweet potatoes, julienned and soaked in cool water
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley leaves
- Red Beans and Sushi Rice 
- Season the short ribs on all sides with the salt and pepper, then dredge in the flour to coat evenly. Set aside as you heat the oil in the Dutch oven.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and when hot, add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the short ribs, working in batches, and cook until very well browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer the meat to a bowl or platter and set aside. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the red wine and cook until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Add the veal stock, fresh thyme, tomato paste and reserved short ribs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so that the liquid just simmers and cover the pot. Simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the meat is very tender but not yet falling apart. The bones should come out of the meat easily at this point ñ remove them and discard. Continue to cook the beef until the meat is fork-tender and the braising liquid is thickened and reduced, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven to 360 degrees F, and fry the sweet potatoes in batches until golden brown; about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper lined plate and season with salt.
- To serve, place the sushi rice in the bottom of a large bowl topped with the red bean, beef short ribs, fried sweet potatoes, and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.