- Finely grated lime zest
- Coarse kosher salt
- Lime slice or wedge
- 2 ounces top-shelf tequila (recommended: Cuervo Gold or anejo tequila)
- 1-ounce orange-flavored liqueur (recommended: Grand Marnier or Cointreau)
- 1 1/2 ounces lime juice, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- In a small shallow bowl or rimmed saucer combine the lime zest and salt and mix well. Run the lime slice around the rim of a stemmed, wide mouthed glass to moisten it, then turn the glass upside down and press the rim in the salt mixture. Set glass aside.
- In a cocktail shaker combine all remaining ingredients and shake well to chill. Strain into the prepared glass and serve immediately.