- 1 pound flank steak
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- Ginger Mango Barbeque Sauce 
- Fennel Slaw 
- Radicchio, romaine, frisee or mixed baby greens, for serving
- Your favorite vinaigrette, for salad
- Sliced red onion, tomato and avocado, for serving, optional
- 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste recommended: Sambal)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (preferably organic)
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ponzu (citrus seasoned soy sauce)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and mix well. Place steak in a plastic storage bag, add the marinade, remove as much air as possible and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade bag and remove as much of the marinade as possible. Reserve 1/2 cup marinade for barbeque sauce. Season the steak with kosher salt and pepper. Brush grill pan lightly with canola oil, grill steak for 2 1/2 minutes, rotate on same side 45 degrees (to create grill marks) and grill for another 2 1/2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for an additional 5 minutes on the other side, rotating 45 degrees after 2 1/2 minutes. Remove from grill pan and allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes under a foil tent. Slice steak against the grain as thinly as possible.
- To serve, toss salad and optional red onion, tomato and avocado with vinaigrette of your choice and arrange on a serving platter. Place a heap of fennel slaw in the center of salad, then place sliced meat around the sides (I fold the sliced meat in a slight V shape to show as much of the caramelization of the outside of the meat). Drizzle meat with barbeque sauce and mango puree carefully ensuring that the sauce gets onto the salad greens and slaw (use more barbeque sauce than mango puree).