- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked until crisp and drained on paper towels, drippings reserved
- 8 large slices firm white sandwich bread or brioche
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 large leaves Bibb or butter lettuce, or 2 large handfuls mache, washed and spun dry
- In the bowl of a food processor combine the egg, egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard, 1 tablespoon of water, garlic, and Essence and process on high speed for 20 seconds. While the motor is still running, add the vegetable oil and olive oil in a slow, steady stream until the mixture is thickened. If mixture becomes too thick before all of the oil is incorporated, add a bit more water as necessary. Add salt, to taste, and set aside while you assemble the remaining ingredients for the sandwiches.
- In a small bowl coat 4 tomato slices evenly with cornmeal and season with salt. In a large heavy skillet, heat 1/2 cup of the reserved bacon drippings until hot but not smoking and cook the tomatoes until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Coat any remaining tomato slices and cook in the same manner, adding additional bacon drippings as necessary.
- Lightly toast the bread slices. Assemble the sandwiches: spread each slice of bread with the desired amount of mayonnaise. Divide the tomatoes, bacon slices, avocado slices and lettuce leaves between 4 slices of the bread. Top with the 4 remaining slices of bread, with the mayonnaise-spread sides facing inward. Cut in half and serve.