- 1 cup rolled oats, not instant
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Mixed Berry Compote 
- Clotted cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch baking pan.
- Place oats in a bowl, pour the boiling water over and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt on waxed paper. Place butter and sugars in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Scrape the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake in the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 35 to 40 minutes. Place on a baking rack and let cool for 40 minutes; this cake is best served warm. Serve the cake topped with some of the warm berry compote and a large dollop of clotted cream.