- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 ounces ground or finely chopped chaurice sausage
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled fresh or thawed frozen green fava beens
- In a heavy saucepan heat oil and cook the onion and green pepper until veggies are soft, about 4 minutes. Add the chaurice, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the favas and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 15 minutes if using fresh. (Note: If using frozen favas make sure to peel them before adding them to the tomato sauce. They should cook in about the same length of time, perhaps a little longer, as fresh.) Add a bit of water as needed if the tomato sauce becomes too thick before the beans are tender.
- When the favas are tender, discard the bay leaf and season with salt, to taste. Serve hot.