- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups Garlic Croutons
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 quarts chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 heads Roasted Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into a small bowl and set aside. Reserve the empty heads.
- Place the chicken stock and reserved empty garlic heads in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour. Strain the stock into a clean pot and discard the solids. Set aside.
- Return the stock pot to the stove and heat the oil and melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until slightly caramelized, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and minced garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add the stock and roasted garlic cloves and stir well to combine. Add 3 cups of the croutons, the salt, pepper, and cream and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- With an immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Add the cheese and stir to incorporate.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each serving with additional croutons. Drizzle with basil pesto and serve immediately.