- 8 thinly cut (about 1/2 inch thick) pork chops (about 3 pounds total)
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- Two 14 1/2-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth, or
- 3 1/2 cups Chicken Stock 
- 1 1/2 cans water (measured in the chicken broth cans)
- 1 pound smoked sausage or andouille, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Steamed white rice or 
- rice pilaf, for serving
Season both sides of the chops with the Essence.
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the pork chops, 3 or 4 at a time, and lightly brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the pork chops and transfer to a platter. Set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the flour and stir constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter, about 4 minutes. Add the onions, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until the onions are slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil. Return the pork chops to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the smoked sausage and the potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves.
Remove from the heat. Serve with either steamed white rice or rice pilaf.