- 1 pork shoulder roast (Boston butt or picnic roast
- 6 to 8 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Barbecue Sauce 
- Sandwich buns, for serving
- Remove the pork from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature before proceeding. Preheat the oven to 350?F and line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Season the roast well on all sides with the Essence, salt, and cayenne. Place a rack inside the roasting pan and place the seasoned pork on the rack, fat side up. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 4 hours.
- Remove the foil from the pan and continue to bake until the roast is very tender and will pull apart easily with a fork, about 2 hours longer. Remove the pork from the oven and set aside to cool slightly. Remove any excess fat from the roast and discard (if desired-I just love the crunchy bits of skin left on top!). Using 2 forks or your hands, shred the pork into bite-size pieces. Serve with the sauce and buns.