- 4 to 6 large red onions (3 1/2 pounds), quartered
- Cloves from 2 large heads of garlic (about 1 cup), peeled
- 2 shallots (about 1/3 cup), peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence
- 6 cups Chicken Stock 
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- French bread, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400?F. Combine the onions, garlic, and shallots in a roasting pan just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add the olive oil and Essence and toss to coat. Roast until well browned, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set over two burners on medium-low heat. Add 2 cups of Chicken Stock, the sage, thyme, and salt and cook for 10 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the puree into a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the remaining 4 cups Chicken Stock and the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and stir in the cream. Serve with French bread.