- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pint oysters with their liquor
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound fresh spinach, well washed and stems removed
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup Herbsaint or other anise-flavored liqueur, such as Pernod or Ouzo
- Crispy Brie Croutons, for serving 
- In a large heavy stockpot, cook the bacon, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, stirring occasionally, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the oysters, the oyster liquor, and the cream and bring the mixture to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Using an immersion blender, or working with batches in a blender, puree the ingredients, adding the spinach in batches as you puree. Season with the salt and white pepper and stir in the Herbsaint.
- Serve with the Crispy Brie Croutons.