- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus 2 tablespoons melted
- 1 cup 1/2-inch cubes fresh pineapple
- 1 cup 1/2-inch cubes bananas
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 cups 1/2-inch cubes day-old Cuban or French bread
- Coconut Rum Sauce 
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with 1/2 tablespoon butter.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet. Add the pineapple, bananas, 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and cook until the fruit begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in the cream, coconut milk, remaining 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, vanilla, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Add the bread and the fruit and stir well, then mix in the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake until firm when pressed in the center, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack until just warm, about 20 minutes. Serve with warm Coconut Rum Sauce and garnish with the toasted coconut.