- 12 to 14 cups 1-inch cubes day-old white bread, such as French or Italian
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups whole milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- Whiskey Sauce 
- Preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Place the bread in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter and pour over the bread cubes. Use a rubber spatula to toss the bread and evenly distribute the butter. Grease a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- Combine the heavy cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and raisins in a large bowl. Whisk to mix. Pour the cream mixture over the bread, and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the bread mixture to the casserole dish and bake until the center of the bread pudding is set, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Garnish the bread pudding with confectioners' sugar and serve warm with warm Whiskey Sauce.