- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded jalapeÒos (2 extra-large jalapeÒos)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth, or
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock 
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped ripe Roma tomatoes (1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste, depending on the saltiness of the broth
- 2 teaspoons Emeril's Southwest Essence
- 2 pinches saffron (optional)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapeÒos and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring, until opaque and nutty in aroma, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, salt, Southwest Essence, and saffron, if using. Stir well and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit, undisturbed, for 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the green onions and cilantro, if desired. Serve hot.