- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salted butter, melted
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar plus
- 3 cups sifted
- 16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Melt the bittersweet and unsweetened chocolates in the top of a double boiler, or in a metal bowl set over a pot of barely simmering water, stirring, until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Lightly beat the egg yolks in a small bowl. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the milk in a stream, whisking constantly. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking constantly to keep lumps from forming. Remove from the heat.
- Add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture to the yolks and whisk until smooth. Add the yolk mixture to the saucepan with the hot milk and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Simmer, whisking constantly, until thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the melted chocolate, unsalted butter, and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap down onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, salted butter, and walnuts in a medium bowl and stir. Using your fingers, press this crust into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, covering the bottom and coming a little bit up the sides. Bake the crust until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Let cool.
- Next, combine 2 cups cream, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, and 3/4 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk until stiff peaks form. Combine the cream cheese and the 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar in a large bowl and cream them together using an electric mixer. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until just combined.
- Spoon the chocolate pudding into the prepared dish over the walnut crust. Top with the cream cheese filling, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, combine the remaining 2 cups cream, remaining 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl. Whisk until soft peaks form. Garnish with the whipped cream before serving.