- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups Chicken Stock, or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon plus a pinch of mace
- 1 3/4 cups polenta or fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- Combine the milk, Chicken Stock, salt, white pepper, and mace in a large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the polenta. Once the mixture begins to thicken, reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until the polenta is tender, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon and scraping down the sides of the pot, about 10 minutes. Add the Parmesan and stir to blend. Remove from the heat and stir to cool for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs and egg yolks in a medium bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Add 1/2 cup of the polenta to the eggs (to temper) and whisk to blend. Gradually add the egg mixture to the rest of the polenta (in about 3 additions), stirring constantly. Continue to stir vigorously for another 2 minutes. Reserve for the casserole.