- One 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound boneless smoked ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups Chicken Stock, or 
- canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Kick It Up! Red Pepper Sauce, or other hot sauce, plus more for serving
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced green onions, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375?F.
- Season the chicken with 2 tablespoons Essence and the salt. Heat the oil in a small Dutch oven or heavy lidded pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, working in batches if necessary, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the celery, bell peppers, and onions and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the sausage and ham and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the rice, stir to blend, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the Chicken Stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire, the remaining 1 teaspoon Essence, the pepper sauce, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir to combine and return the chicken to the pot, nestling the pieces in the rice mixture.
- Cover the pot and bake until the chicken and rice are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand, still covered, for 5 minutes. Garnish with the green onions and serve with hot sauce.