- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Southwest Essence
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeÒos
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 3 ears)
- Two 28-ounce cans chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 2 cups Chicken Stock 
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cornbread Topping 
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, for garnish
- 2 cups sour cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400?F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium Dutch oven (preferably cast-iron) over high heat. Add the chicken, Southwest Essence, chili powder, and cumin and cook, stirring, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven along with the onions, bell peppers, and jalapeÒos and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, salt, and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the corn and cook until starting to color and pop, about 3 minutes. Add the reserved chicken, tomatoes and their juice, and the Chicken Stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened and is chili consistency, 30 to 40 minutes.
- When the chili has thickened, remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Stir in the cilantro and adjust the seasoning to taste. Spoon the Cornbread Topping over the chicken mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the sides.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the chili from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on top. Return to the oven until melted, 2 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with the chopped green onions. Serve hot with the sour cream alongside.