- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Emeril's Italian Essence
- 2 cups canned whole tomatoes with their juice, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste, depending on saltiness of sausage
- Creamy Polenta 
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350?F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, breaking up clumps with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. Add the onions and bell peppers to the pan and cook until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and Italian Essence and cook for another 2 minutes. Return the sausage to the pan, stir to mix, and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes and stir to mix. Cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Season with the black pepper and salt. Pour the sausage mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, distributing it evenly. Pour the polenta on top, spreading it evenly with a rubber spatula. Top the polenta with the butter and Parmesan. Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.