- 8 ounces ground pork sausage, mild or spicy, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Salt, to taste
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the sausage, stirring to break up the pieces, until browned and no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to paper towels to drain.
- Carefully remove all but 2 tablespoons of grease from the pan and return to medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cooked sausage into the gravy, stir well, and cook to heat through, 30 to 45 seconds. Serve hot.