- 4 cups water
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina or Monterey Jack
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- In a heavy medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Stir the polenta and salt into the water, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring from time to time. Cook until the polenta is cooked through and thickens, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese and jalapenos until smooth. Pour the polenta into a lightly oiled, shallow baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours and up to 2 days in advance.
- Run a knife around the edge of the baking dish and unmold the polenta onto a cutting board. Cut into 3-inch by 3-inch squares and keep cool, wrapped, until ready to grill.