- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup minced onions
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups sweet green peas, blanched
- 1/2 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8 cup oval gratin dish with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
- In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter Add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the milk and bring to a simmer. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Add the peas and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Season the bread crumbs with Essence. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the peas. Top with the grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook until the peas are bubbly and the top is golden, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Spoon onto serving plates and serve.