- 1/2 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped pecan pieces
- 2 cups diced cooking apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 2-quart rectangle glass dish (8 by 11 1/2 by 2 inches) with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
- In a large sautÈ pan, over medium heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions and celery. Season with salt and pepper. SautÈ until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Add the pecans and continue to sautÈ for 1 minute. Add the apples. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to sautÈ for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cream together. Add the cornmeal and whisk until smooth.
- Stir the apple mixture and cheese into the cornmeal mixture. Mix until incorporated.
- In another large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until very stiff and peaks form, then fold into the apple batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until it sets, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon onto serving plates and garnish with parsley.