- Fresh Berry Topping 
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Make Fresh Berry Topping and set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a second bowl use a wooden spoon to beat together the egg yolks and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and eggs have turned a pale yellow.
- Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract to the eggs and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg-milk mixture and whisk just until blended. Do not overmix.
- In a third bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, about 1 minute.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter. Don't overmix!
- Coat the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray if required and pour enough batter in the iron to just cover waffle grid.
- Close and cook as per manufacturer's instructions until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. In checking for doneness, open the waffle iron carefully and watch out for steam. Do not open the waffle iron, though, for at least 1 minute. Repeat cooking with remaining batter. When each waffle is done, remove using either tongs or a fork. Don't forget to turn off the waffle iron when all the waffles are done.
- Serve immediately with 1/4 cup of the Fresh Berry Topping spooned over the top of each waffle.