- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110Âº F on an instant-read thermometer)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk, 3/4 cup of the sugar, 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of the butter, the dry milk, and the salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the butter is melted and the sugar has dissolved, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to lukewarm before proceeding.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in the warm water. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the milk mixture to the yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the eggs and stir to combine.
- Stirring with a wooden spoon, add the flour to the egg and yeast mixture 1 cup at a time. The dough will be quite stiff and somewhat sticky. If the dough gets too stiff to stir with a spoon, use your hands to mix, but wash them first!
- Lightly grease the inside of a large bowl with 1 teaspoon of the remaining butter. Transfer the dough to the bowl and turn the dough in the bowl to coat. Lightly grease a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap with another teaspoon of the butter and use it to cover the bowl, greased side down. Set aside in a warm place until dough has doubled in size, at least 3 hours.
- Melt the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter and transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll the dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 36 equal pieces. Tuck the cut edges of each piece under so as to form a smooth round ball of dough.
- Place three balls of dough side by side into each well of a muffin pan. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the top of each roll with some of the melted butter. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free area until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat the oven to 350Âº F.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake the dinner rolls until golden brown and puffed, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the muffin pan from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.