- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3 cups sliced wild mushrooms, such as a shiitake, morel, chanterelle, wood ear, and/or oyster, stems trimmed and wiped clean
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions (green and white parts)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups veal stock or beef stock, or low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a heavy medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, salt, and pepper and cook until the mushrooms start to give off their liquid, about 3 minutes. Add the green onions, parsley, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in thestock and heavy cream and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened to a sauce consistency, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve, or cover and keep warm until ready to use.