- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon Essence 
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 small loaf French bread, 10 to 12-inches in length, split in half lengthwise
- 1 pound Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 6 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 3/4 pound cooked roast beef, shredded or chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 8 Poached Eggs
- Wild Mushroom Sauce 
- Chopped green onions, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, Essence, and 1 teaspoon of the garlic until creamy. Spread evenly over the French bread halves. Cut each in 1/2, for a total of 4 pieces. When 15 to 20 minutes away from serving the meal, place on a baking sheet, buttered side up, and bake until lightly toasted and bubbly, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- In a medium saucepan, place the potatoes and enough water to cover by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high until brown and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. To the fat in the pan, add the onions and peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and cook until starting to crisp and brown, stirring only occasionally, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the meat, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper, and stir well. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine, increase the heat, and cook for 1 minute until the wine is nearly all evaporated. Add the beef stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked bacon and remove from the heat. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Arrange 1 piece toasted French bread in the middle of each of 4 plates. Spoon the roast beef mixture over the toast and top each with 2 poached eggs. Spoon the mushroom sauce over the eggs, sprinkle with chopped green onions, and serve immediately.