- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, removed from casings and chopped
- 4 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Essence 
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 cups chopped, seeded tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup fish stock or clam juice
- 1 1/2 pounds cockles, well rinsed under cold running water
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1 pound squid, cleaned, bodies cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs, including parsley, cilantro, oregano
- Roasted Potatoes 
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage and bacon until beginning to brown and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add the onions to the pan and saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, Essence and cayenne, and saute for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, bay leaf, and red wine and cook until slightly reduced. Add the fish stock and bring to a boil. Add the sausage, and bacon back to the pan, stir well and return to a simmer. Add the cockles, scallops, and squid, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until the clams open, about 4 minutes. Finish with the extra-virgin olive oil and herbs.
- Remove from the heat and serve over Roasted Potatoes.