- 6 cups Vegetable Stock 
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups whole grain farro (or spelt), picked over for impurities and rinsed
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups quartered cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 pound okra, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 pound whole baby carrots, tops removed and scrubbed
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch thick half circles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a simmer. Lower the heat to keep warm.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, and celery and cook until soft, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and farro to the pan and cook, stirring, until the faro is toasted and coated with oil, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, okra, baby carrots, zucchini, bay leaf, and thyme, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of the warm stock, salt, black pepper, and cayenne, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, 2 cups at a time, as the previous addition is absorbed, cooking and stirring, until all the stock is used and the grains are plump and tender.
- Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and adjust the seasoning,to taste. Serve immediately.