- 2 dozen shucked Appalachicola or Indian River (Florida) oysters (about 1 pint)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced white onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced, seeded red chile pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large butter lettuce leaves, garnish
- In a glass bowl, combine the oysters, lime juice, onions, tomatoes and chile. Toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until oysters have slightly "cooked," 1 to 1 1/2 hours. (Note: If oysters are allowed to marinate too long, they will become tough and rubbery.)
- Before serving, mix in mint. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Arrange 1 lettuce leaf on each of 4 plates. Arrange the ceviche inside the leaves and serve.