- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons dried carrageen (substitute with 1 1/2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Irish Cream Liqueur
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Mint, for garnish
- Chocolate Curl, for garnish
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream, vanilla, cardamom, star anise, and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to steep for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain into a clean saucepan.
- ***Add the carrageen, sugar, and whiskey and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ***If you can't find carrageen and are using gelatin: Add the sugar and whiskey and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Place a little of the mixture in a small bowl and add the gelatin. Let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk the gelatin mixture back into the milk mixture and stir well. There is no need to strain again before proceeding.
- Remove from the heat and strain. Divide evenly between 8 (4-ounce) ramekins. Place in the refrigerator and allow to chill thoroughly.
- In a bowl, whip the 1/2 cup of cream with the liqueur until soft peaks start to form. Add the cocoa powder and continue beating until stiff peaks start to form. Spoon the sweetened whipped cream onto the puddings. Top each serving with mint and chocolate curls.