- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned or quick cooking grits (not instant)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons mashed roasted garlic puree
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 2-quart souffle dish with 2 tablespoons of the butter and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Stirring, add the grits and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring, occasionally, until the grits are thick, smooth and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the cream and cook until well incorporated, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into the prepared casserole and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.