- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups sliced leeks, white and green parts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Salt and white pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 to 6 tablespoons soft herbed cheese (like Boursin)
- In a large pot, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over low heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken stock and potatoes. Cover and simmer gently until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree the soup until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and ground white pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with parsley and 1 tablespoon of soft herbed cheese. Serve immediately.